Nov 21, 2007

TEREO EK -----used 32 times in the New Testament

Danny McDowell

10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from [TEREO EK] the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
KJV

NT:5083
tereo (tay-reh'-o); from teros (a watch; perhaps akin to NT:2334); to guard (from loss or injury, properly, by keeping the eye upon; and thus differing from NT:5442, which is properly to prevent escaping; and from NT:2892, which implies a fortress or full military lines of apparatus), i.e. to note (a prophecy; figuratively, to fulfil a command); by implication, to detain (in custody; figuratively, to maintain); by extension, to withhold (for personal ends; figuratively, to keep unmarried); by extension, to withhold (for personal ends; figuratively, to keep unmarried):
KJV - hold fast, keep (-er), (pre-, re-) serve, watch.

John 8:51-56
51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.
52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.
53 Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?
54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:
55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.
KJV

John 17:11-16
11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
13 And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.
14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
15 I pray NOT that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest KEEP THEM FROM [tereo ek] the evil.
Cross reference to Revelation 3:10

2 Cor 11:9-11
9 And when I was present with you, and wanted, I was chargeable to no man: for that which was lacking to me the brethren which came from Macedonia supplied: and in all things I have kept myself from being burdensome unto you, and so will I keep myself.
10 As the truth of Christ is in me, no man shall stop me of this boasting in the regions of Achaia.
KJV

Eph 4:2-3
2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
KJV

1 Tim 5:22
22 Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure.
KJV

1 Tim 6:14-15
14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:
KJV

James 1:27-2:1
27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
KJV

James 2:10-11
10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
KJV

1 John 2:3-4
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
KJV

1 John 3:22-23
22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
KJV

1 John 5:2-6
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
KJV

1 John 5:21 - 2 John 1
21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.
KJV

Jude 21-25
21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:
23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
KJV

Rev 1:3-4
3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
KJV

Rev 12:17-13:1
17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
KJV

Rev 14:12-13
12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
KJV

Rev 22:9-10
9 Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.
KJV

Rev 3:8-11
8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
KJV

1 comment:

Oz said...

I don’t think so, it’s just here + Jn 17:15.
In Reading the New Testament commentary, it states that these are the only 2 times
that these words are used in conjunction in Greek literature.